In case you wondered why your Adobe Indesign CS3 software was malfunctioning on Apples MacOS High Sierra.
The issue seems to be a bug in this version of Apple’s Operating System software (MacOS High Sierra), which can be easily fixed by reverting your MacOS to Sierra.
While we love that Apple now provides free MacOS upgrades, we’ve discovered this has it’s drawbacks.
We first noticed Adobe InDesign CS3 malfunctioning when the guys at our graphic design services department opened InDesign CS3 software one one of our older Macs, and discovered all window content was blank.
At first they thought the error was the fault of our Adobe software, but after opening Pages, our iWork page design software, we noticed the same error occur.
It seems there may be bugs in Mac High Sierra that, perhaps, should have been discovered and fixed, before the guys at Apple decided to launch this somewhat irritable MacOS (High Sierra) on the general public.
FIX THE PROBLEM
We found the best way to do this was to revert our Mac’s Operating Systems (MacOS) to Sierra, and then load content from the most recent Time Machine backup made when you were running Sierra and then replacing Mail, and Contacts content from the most recent Time Machine backup.
HOW TO DO IT
If you wish to revert your Mac’s MacOS from High Sierra to Sierra, where this problem doesn’t seem to occur, check out this page by the good people at MacWorld (link below), and you will be running this great page editoing software in no time at all.
How to Remove MacOS High Sierra
Adobe InDesign CS3 functioning correctly on Mac OS Sierra – screenshot.
US based luxury furnishings and and toiletries retailer Copper Strawberry, commissioned veetoo‘s web development department to create a responsive mobile friendly version of the original html web site we created for them some time ago.
Because Google now prioritises responsive mobile friendly web sites over web sites that are not, in their search results, the change was of the utmost importance.
To work to budget we developed the new web site using Magento because of the sophisticated nature of the theme’s e-commerce back end.
Link to the new web site: www.copperstrawberry.com
Commissioned to deliver graphic design and photography, we were asked to create marketing collateral for property developers Rony Keren Properties, here is a first draft design for one of the clients properties.
The colour scheme was developed using dominant colours in the photographs we shot in London, and design has been driven by a vibrant colour palette and words that highlight the location of the property.
Great fun photographing the client’s properties in the UK capital, as well as generic London views (which will be interspersed through the brochure’s design to give a flavour of the vibrancy of this popular international location).
Web design and development testimonial 1 –
Carberry Catering Belfast.
It’s not often we get to work with someone as appreciative of creativity, and all that goes into designing, Search Engine Optimising and photographing for a mobile friendly web site, such as the site we developed for Carberry Catering Belfast.
Most of the time the client sees what we do as simply a cog in the larger machine, that is running a successful business. When we received a customer testimonial from the directors of this successful Belfast based catering company singing our praises . . . we simply had to shout it from the rooftops!
See Ursula and Raymond Carberry’s testimonial below the screenshots of their web site.
Working with Stephen from Veetoo was a thoroughly enjoyable experience that has delivered excellent results. We have been blown away by the impressive job he has done in creating such a fantastic website for our business.
We were looking for a professional sleek look at an affordable price and that’s exactly what we got.
He really understood our needs and came up with amazing creative solutions for our site. His creative flair, intuitiveness, knowledge and communication are unparalleled. He is not just a great web designer but an outstanding, highly competent photographer who is passionate about his art.
He brought our food to life. His patience and relaxed approach achieved the quality and style of photography that we wanted.
I would highly recommend Veetoo Design to anyone wanting a show stopping web site.
Plusnet crashing Mac issue – fix suggestion.
Having recently changed broadband service provider to Plusnet, we discovered the Plusnet supplied router was seemingly crashing our Macbook and Mac computers when they were connected to the internet by wi-fi or ethernet cable.
After getting nowhere with our first call to Plusnet technical support, and after our Mac’s continued to repeatedly crash after reboot (restarting them), we finally got through to a Plusnet technical support representative who was aware of the issue and talked us through fixing the problem. This was the first Mac crash / freeze issue our creative director remembers having with his Macs (he has been using Mac computers since the ’80s, when they weren’t so hip and were known as Macintosh computers).
The fix is simple, and here is how we did it:
- Screenshots in order below the numbered items.
- Turn off your Plusnet router.
- Open system preferences on your Mac computer.
- Click NETWORK.
- Select ETHERNET (shown in our illustrations). If you connect to the web using Airport, make the same fix by going to the Airport dropdown on your Mac’s screen and go to Open Network Preferences.
- Click ADVANCED in the Ethernet window.
- Select the dropdown beside Configure IPv6 and select OFF.
- Click OK.
- This will bring you back to the main NETWORK page, where all you need to do is click APPLY.
- Restart your Plusnet router. Wait 15 minutes. Go online.
Plusnet Mac crash fix screengrab 1
Plusnet Mac crash fix screengrab 2
Plusnet Mac crash fix screengrab 3
Plusnet Mac crash fix screengrab 4
Plusnet Mac crash fix screengrab 5
Plusnet Mac crash fix screengrab 6
wordpress web site how to
veetoo are UK based WordPress web designers and SEO consultants, creating search engine attracting web sites that deliver first page Google search results for client web sites against online competition in city’s including London and Atlanta.
A) HOW TO EDIT A WORDPRESS WEB SITE (the basics) –
For any of the following always log in to your WordPress web site’s Dashboard first
1. log in to your web sites Dashboard (CMS / Content Management System)
- go to your web address/wp-admin
- enter your WordPress user name
- enter your WordPress password
- click log in
B) ADD KEY PHRASE –
A key phrase (keywords) is comprised of words that would be used by those searching for what you do or sell and are service, product or geographic specific word – they help attract traffic to your web site.
- On left side of window go down to and click Settings.
- This will open up the Settings sub categories.
- Click the Settings sub category General.
- At the very top of the General page is a text box entitled Site Title – enter your key phrase here.
- Click the Save Changes button and you will have added the key phrase to your web sites title tag code.
C) EDIT PAGE CONTENT –
- Click where you want to add or edit text (in Posts, Page or Products on left of page).
- After navigating to Posts, Pages, or Products, locate the name of the page you wish to edit and click edit beneath the name of the post, page or product page.
- When the page you wish to edit opens, click Visual on the top right of your page’s content – this will present what is seen on the web page online (clicking the ‘Text’ button will display this content in code form – only to be used if you know html code).
- Click on the page where you want to edit and either type or paste text in place.
- To remove image or text content, simply click and drag over it and hit delete on your keypad.
ADDING A PICTURE OR VIDEO to a WordPress page –
- Click on the page where you want the image to appear.
- Then click the Add Media button to top left of the pages content.
- Clicking the Add Media button will present a page named Insert Media (the place in your WordPress sites database where the image files, sound files and video files content of your web site reside).
- Scroll through the images and click the image you want to add to the page.
- Click the Insert into page button at bottom right of this page to add your picture to the page.
- Click the blue Update button at top right of the page and you will have update your web page.
D) ADD IMAGES TO A WORDPRESS SITE FROM YOUR COMPUTER –
- Go to top of page and roll over New (this will display a drop-down of things you can add) and scroll to and click Media.
- Or, Click media from the vertical text, this will open a page entitled Media Library.
- Click Add New and the top of the page will change – and you will be prompted to drop the image file into a space surrounded by dotted lines.
- OR click the Select Files button and navigate on your computer to the file you want to upload. Select the image and click Choose to upload it to your web sites database.
While the above are guides to basic editing on a WordPress web site, we offer consultancy and support on all aspects of WordPress web site development, including online store development (woocommerce), internal SEO, photo file SEO (have your pictures deliver traffic to your site from Google picture search results), search engine optimised copy writing, commercial photography and video production (we’ve filmed for BBC Worldwide).
Our SEO consultancy services have delivered first page Google search results for the responsive mobile friendly web site we developed in WordPress for Cootehill Precision Engineering.
This responsive web site was developed using Wordpress to allow the client easy access to edit the sites content, and also allows for the integration of a multitude of WordPress plug-ins available to add many varied features to the web sites look and functions.
While serious Search Engine Optimisation was not included in this project’s deliverables, we provided minimal SEO that today presents the client’s web site on the first page of a Google search in the UK for ‘precision engineering cavan’. Long may it continue to do so.
Do free web sites really deliver?
I received a message from a connection on Linkedin singing the praises of a free web site provider that allows you to automatically create a new web site from the content of your Linkedin profile.
While, on the surface, this sounds great . . . I wonder if it really is!
My reason for saying this is simple. Why have a showroom on the web if no-one can find it!
SEO – while I’m aware Google now indexes and ranks a web site on the words on it’s pages, it also looks at the percentage of key words on each page and within the code and image content of the site (resulting in your web site appearing on the first page of a service and, or, geographic specific word search on Google, or not as the case may be).
So, while you may build and manage a web site for free, there are usually catches –
- Does this all singing, all dancing, free web site have features that enable you to SEO (Search Engine Optimise) it’s content – allowing people searching online for what you do, and where you are located, to find you while searching online on the likes of Google!
- What support will this free web site provider give (and how fast will it be given) if you have queries or problems when building or managing your free web site!
- Will you be forced to pay charges to add features over and above the most basic provided gratis to get you hooked!
- What happens to this free site of yours if the service provider is bought out by another company who decides to hit you for fees to continue using your no longer free web site or, worse still, said free web site provider company takes a dive and your beautiful new site (and all the work you put into it) goes south!
- You might also want to consider what the provider of a free web site does with your email address and the other information you provided when you signed up!
The saying ‘you get what you pay for’ is usually true.
I’ll get off my soapbox now . . . I’m getting light headed up here!
peace, Stephen Bradley
creative director, veetoo
veetoo are Belfast SEO consultants who specialise in delivering first page Google search results for companies competing online in major cities in the U.K. and U.S.
Pallas Foods website –
While the company has been bought over by Pallas Foods, and this site is no longer live, we thought you’d like to see the catalogue website we designed and developed for Crossgar Food Service Northern Ireland.
graphic design (front and back end)
Website designers Belfast – Crossgar Foods web site products page
Website designers Belfast – Crossgar Foods web site news page
Website designers Belfast – Crossgar Foods web site offers page
Website designers Belfast – Crossgar Foods web site home page
As Google now give priority to mobile friendly web sites, for maximum online reach it is essential that your web site is responsive and formatted to display correctly on multiple portable devices such as smart phones and tablets.
With over 50 percent of users worldwide now surfing on portable devices, it’s important that you up your online game and ensure your web site automatically reconfigures it’s content to display in a user friendly way on iPhone, Android, Windows Phone and BlackBerry mobile phones and
Click here to learn more
Web site design illustration 5
When you download / open a web page the web site’s server identifies the device on which the site is being viewed, such as Firefox (desktop browser), a Safari browser (on an iPhone) or a browser using Android, and (if the web site has been coded correctly) the server hosting the web site presents the content formatted in a manner that displays best on that device. If your site isn’t functioning in this way, it’s time that it did!
An excellent example of a multiple device friendly web site incorporating streaming video among the home page content is that for The Orient Express.
If you would like help in reviewing your site and, if it needs it, adding some code to ensure that it displays correctly on multiple viewing devices – we would be more than pleased to help!
Contact us now and let’s bring your web presence up to speed – ensuring that it doesn’t get bumped down on Google’s search results for not being mobile friendly and multi device compatible.